Monday 20 July 2015

The Current Base Loves





I have a never ending struggle with acne, so when I find a base routine that works for me I really stick to it. My base requirements are as follows: natural finish, no caking, no separating on my oily patches, no sticking to my dry patches, no breaking me out, no creasing under my eyes and long wear (I'm a persistent face-toucher). Not much to ask, right? My one saving grace is that I'm not too fussy about high coverage these days, I find that high coverage often actually accentuates the texture and bumps on my skin, so I have perfected the light coverage/pin point concealing technique, which is so much more effective.

I always start my base routine with a primer, with my favourite at the moment being the Hourglass Veil primer. I have very dull, lack-lustre skin so I need a primer that's going to add a bit of life back into my skin, which Veil seems to be a pro at. It also helps to conceal the redness I tend to get around my nose and stops foundation sinking into my pores, something which I struggle with as I do have fairly large pores. I'm also a fan of the silky, light texture, as I find a lot of the heavier, more silicone-y primers break me out.

I recently picked up the Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation, and the concealer followed shortly after. It's a light-medium coverage which leaves your skin with a natural, slightly dewy finish. I can only imagine how beautiful this foundation looks on acne-less skin. The concealer is very similar, but is a slightly creamier texture, perfect for under-eye concealing. I find it makes me look so much more awake and definitely adds that sought-after 'highlight effect'. I apply both of these with the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge, as I do most foundations, as I love the flawless finish it provides. 

To conceal the aforementioned acne, I've recently discovered the Laura Mercier Secret Concealer. It's a very very thick consistency which I'm pretty sure could cover a tattoo if you used it correctly. It's that high coverage. I take a teeny-tiny amount on a small brush and apply it directly to the spot and 'dab' with my finger until it's blended. Bye bye redness, hello perfect skin (sort of).

Finally, I can't do a post on base makeup without mentioning my babe, the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in 'Dim Light'. I've used this every day for well over a year now (yep, the exact same one and still going) and I'm still totally in love with it. It sets my makeup, adds a beautiful glow, and somehow manages to 'blur' my face. It makes all my makeup look perfectly blended, and the difference before and after I apply it always amazes me. It has complete 'holy grail' status in my makeup collection.

What's your base secret?

Georgia
xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment