Tuesday 1 September 2015

Urban Decay Do It Again






I told myself that I wasn't going to buy the Urban Decay Naked Smoky palette. My foray into eyeshadow ends at dark-ish matte browns and I don't venture enough into eyeshadow to justify a £38 eyeshadow palette that I most likely won't use. So naturally, I bought it.

And shockingly, I have actually been using it! The dark matte brown shade 'Whiskey' is obviously my favourite (who would have guessed?) but I've also been finding myself reaching for 'Armor' a super glittery true grey and 'Dirty Sweet', a shimmering champagne-gold, on a regular basis. I don't own any palettes, or even single shadows, similar to this and it's shocked me that I've actually been reaching for it every day. To my friends who have been questioning my dark racoon eyes this week: here is your answer. Who knew I'd ever venture out of my matte brown comfort zone? My inner Taylor Momsen is making an appearance, and I must say I'm rather enjoying it.

Don't get me wrong though, the best thing about the Smoky palette is that you can create a super natural every day look using the matte shades or you can go full out for the evening with ALL the shimmer. I own the original Naked, Naked 3, Naked Basics and now this, and I can say that in terms of versatility, Smoky wins hands down. The only area in which it lets itself down is the lack of a matte black, and I do also think it could have benefitted from a matte burnt orange shade for crease deepening and for blending purposes. Can't have it all though I suppose.

I feel like there's not much point talking about the formula because everyone knows that Urban Decay eyeshadows are some of the best in terms of texture and blendabilty, but for anyone wondering, these do match up to the rest. The more shimmer-packed shades do have some fallout as to be expected though, so I do recommend going down the eyes first, base second route when going for darker looks. 

I'm planning on filming some of my favourite makeup looks using this palette in the next couple of weeks so make sure you keep an eye on my channel for those, but for now I'm going out for dinner with my friend and I have some smoky eyes to apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment